Hey guys ^^ So, I'm not saying this to sound narcissistic, but, a decent number of people recently have told me how much they like my characters... and, while I don't think for a moment that my characters are perfect, I do know that I employed certain strategies in creating and developing them that a lot of people usually don't. How I develop my characters are by doing things to them, thinking about them certain ways, and putting them in certain situations that would seem insignificant to a character's development... but, surprisingly, has actually really helped it.
The reasoning behind why the methods (I'll provide something below) work, is because it forces the character's creator to think about their characters like actual people. Conceiving seemingly insignificant details about your characters will, if you do it enough, make them come off as more realistic, more relatable, and usually more likable. My friends and I have used this method to develop our characters, and with pretty good results if I may say... so, I decided to create a meme that might help put characters into these little situations that would help their development. Don't get me wrong, big events that drastically change a character and their thoughts/personality are very important! But it's important not to overlook the little details either. Little things that we as people go through every day are, sorta what define us, arguably more than the big events, because the little things are happening all the time.
That being said, I devised a number of questions below that you might be able to answer about your characters
If not, make up an answer that you think might potentially fit them! These are questions my friends and I have asked each other back and forth about our characters, and not only did we have fun with it, but we made some pretty cool characters from it!
These questions are going to seem silly, and insignificant, but.... just stick with it Again, one last disclaimer,
I don't think my characters are perfect. I rightfully refer to them as garbage on a regular basis, and I mean that. But, I just thought I would share my method for development with the people who happen to like my characters
I don't think any less of your or your characters if you use some other method for development of course! There are SO many ways to develop your characters. This is my method ^^ (plus it's really fun
Also, I realize that a lot of you guys have characters who these questions wouldn't apply to, at least not in their canon universe. If this is the case, just make it up as if they did apply. The answers to these questions should only serve to develop your characters, and don't really have to make sense canonically
For example, if the character is put in a situation where they're in a car, but they're an animal and can't drive, just pretend they can for the sake of this
These questions are formulated in a way that would warrant a third person response, but you can also answer them from the first person of your character (I don't think it will make much of a difference, as long as the characters don't take themselves so seriously that they don't answer the question).
Example: How does your character react to seeing their crush just, in a normal setting?
Silus (character I'm using) would react to seeing Ridley (his crush) by literally dropping what he's doing, and following him... Regardless of whether or not Ridley is aware of his presence.
Example 2: How does your character react to the ending of Old Yeller?
Ridley had to "go to the bathroom" ... ... to cry. He cried for the rest of the night.Questions:
1. How does your character act when getting a shot at the doctor's office?
2. How does your character react to getting to eat their favorite food?
3. It's a slow day at work. All your character has is a mug, a phone, a few paper clips, a pencil, and paper. How do they pass the time?
4. How does your character react to the ending of Old Yeller (or some other sad family movie)?
5. The only things on TV are Glee, Spongebob, My Little Pony, and various game shows. What do they watch?
6, What was their favorite band when they were little? Now?
7. Their favorite song just came on in their car radio! What do they do?
8. What was their favorite cartoon as a child?
9. Their favorite character in their favorite show just died brutally!!! What do they do?
10. Their mother just caught them on their computer and they had to close the window really quickly. What were they doing?
11. How do they like their pancakes?
12. Oops! Something scandalous just popped up on the computer screen! What do they do?
13. What awkward... thing... did they have in junior high (acne, braces, Naruto sugoi desu kawaii phase, etc.)
14. If they were to speak another language, what would it be?
15. Uh oh, their boss just came in to their office and proceeds to yell at them for something they didn't do. What do they do?
16. They're eating lunch and suddenly the attractive waitress/waiter catches their eye. How do they get their attention? Does it work?
17. They haven't seen their parents in years and they're going to visit. What's the first thing that comes out of their mouth when they get there?
18. They decide to go to Disneyland! What's the first ride they go for?
19. They're at Disneyland and the fireworks start!... but they're on the other side of the park... What do they do?
20. They just old nasty touched the gum under their table. How do they react?
21. There's a spider in the bathroom. What do they do?
22. Briefly describe your character's morning routine.
23. They just received a text from an unknown number that says to meet them at the park tonight... what do they do?
24. They're playing Five Nights at Freddys. What do they do/how do they play?
25. They decide to make an account on some sort of social media site. What site is it (DA, Facebook, Tumblr, Youtube, etc.) and what kind of stuff do they post?
26. They went on YouTube and found a review harshly criticizing their favorite movie. What comment do they leave on the video?
27. Their neighbor's dog just ripped up their flowerbed!! D: What do they do?
28. They receive an anonymous letter from a "secret lover". What do they do/how do they react?
29. They go to the pet store to buy their first pet. What do they buy?
30. Someone rudely bumps into them at the grocery store, making them drop their groceries. What do they do?
31. Their crush just invited them to diner!
What do they do?
32. Little kid time: They got lost in the grocery store and can't find their mom. What do they do?
33. They overhear some gossip that they're obviously not supposed to. What do they do?
34. The drier just ate their favorite (insert random article of clothing), what do they do?
35. A storm's a' brewin outside! Thunder, lightning, hail, all that stuff. What do they do?
36. They're with their friend(s) and someone makes a terrible pun. What do they do?
37. They dropped their ice cream D: How do they react?
38. April fools day! What prank do they pull?
39. How does your character sleep? Any quirks?
40. What music do they listen to while cleaning the house? ... Do they do any special dances...?
41. How does your character react to running into a sliding glass door?
42. Your character just stepped on a butterfly! D: How do they react?
43. An old lady needs help crossing the street, but your character is in a hurry.. what do they do?
44. Someone who is obviously drunk walks up to them and starts trying to make conversation. What does your character do?
45. Girl scouts just came to the door wanting them to buy cookies! What does your character do?
If anyone likes these, I have a LOT more questions for couples than I do for individual characters. If you want to hear those (I find those more fun anyways), I can write them down in a future journal ^^ (but make sure you tell me otherwise I probably won't do it).
I'm not going to tag anyone to do these because I want it to be voluntary and fun... but, please do if you want to!
I'd love to see your responses! ^^